Disability Living Allowance | Print |

Disability Living Allownce

D.L.A. is for people who have a disability or an illness and is paid to their parent/guardian until the age of 16, after which is it is paid to the child in their own right. It is not means tested and is also a tax free benefit.

DLA is broken down into two parts.

1. Help with Personal Care

2.Help with Getting around/Mobility

Your child may be entitled to one or both parts dependant on their needs. The child’s needs must be in excess of what a child without disabilities of that age would need.  

1.Help with Personal Care  - The care component of DLA is set at three rates. 

Lower rate - To qualify for the lower rate component your child must require extra care for a significant portion of the day. (£17.75 per week) 

Middle rate - To qualify for middle rate component your child must need continual supervision or frequent care during the day prolonged or repeated care or supervision during the night. (£44.85 per week) < />Higher Rate - To qualify for the higher rate component your child must need the care and supervision requirement across the day AND night. (£67.00 per week)

 2.Help with Getting Around/Mobility

The mobility component of DLA is for children who have difficulties getting around and walking and is set at two rates. 

Lower rate - This is only available to children over 5 years of age who need significantly more help, guidance or supervision outdoors than any other children of their age (£17.75 per week)

Higher rate - (available from 3 years of age)

This is for children who have severe difficulties walking or cannot walk, severe mental or behavioural problems(£46.75 per week)

Telephone: 0800 88 22 00 for a DLA claim pack from the Disability Benefits Unit.

 If your claim is successful it will be backdated to the date of your claim even if it takes a while to fill in the form. The application form for Personal Care is extensive. Try to keep a diary of your child's daily care and supervision needs for a period before you fill the form in, and you can ask a professional involved with your child for help to fill  in  the form. Keep a copy of the form for future reference.

Click on the Directgov link for more information.